Curious about who I am? Posts about health and natural birth Resources and posts regarding vaccines and informed consent Posts about Parenting and Relationships Spirituality and Life Lessons Email me Home

Homemade Shampoo

The two essential ingredients in this recipe are the Bronners soap and water – you can essentially add anything you want after that and personalize it to your specific needs. This is what I use:



Ingredients:

1 Cup             Bronners Soap (baby mild)
1 Cup             Water
1/4 Cup         Aloe Vera Gel
2 Tbsp             Vegtable Glycerin
1 Tbsp             Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 Squirt           Honey
5-10 drops     Vitamin E

Optional: Various Essential Oils (I like Mango-Peach, Rosemary, Thyme and Peppermint)

For Conditioner: 1 Spray Bottle filled with Apple Cider Vinegar



Why These Ingredients?


Dr. Bronners Soap (Baby Mild)- this soap comes in different fragrances such as peppermint and lavendar, but I choose the baby mild because it’s better for people with sensitive skin and allergies. (Plus I can add my own essential oils to it to make it my very own.) All t he oils and essentials in this soap is certified organic. You can learn more or order this here.


Aloe Vera Gel- I choose to add aloe vera gel because the soap and water by itself can be very drying to the hair shaft and scalp. Aloe vera gel has many benefits to hair; it moisturizes, soothes irritation, and it has restorative benefits.

I ordered mine from Lily of the Desert - just make sure you are getting 100% Aloe Vera gel (many over the counter brands have filler ingredients)


Vegtable Glycerin- Known to be a humectant (meaning that it attracts water), veggie glycerin helps add moisture as well. (You can skip this ingredient if you wish) While using this as a body wash, it is also nice to know that glycerin helps skin cells mature properly and has been known for its healing properties (because it helps tissues and cells repair themselves).


Extra Virgin Olive Oil- I’ve used this as an intense conditioner treatment in the past and it’s amazing. I added a tbsp of this to the mixture because it can improve the strength and elasticity of the hair. It can penetrate the hair shaft and supply moisture to the cortex of the hair. EVOO contains antioxidants such as vitamin E and A.

EVOO is great for severely dry skin - apply oil directly to skin after washing in the shower or tub and you'll reap the intense moisturizing benefits (safe for kids too).


Honey- This is a humectant as well, but honey smoothes the cuticle so the hair feels soft and looks shiny. (plus you most likely have this on hand)


Vitamin E- although EVOO contains vitamin E, I added a few more drops. Vitamin E is wonderful for hair and skin. It protects the cells from free radicals, helps with split ends and keeps color vibrant. From what else Ive read, it can also help your hair from going gray – so maybe use 10 drops instead of 5 if you are over 30 like me.


Essential Oils- these oils promote natural shine and a healthier scalp, especially when used at night to allow several hours for your hair to absorb them. Make sure you purchase 100% pure essential oils. For this first batch, I used rosemary and thyme. Peppermint is also a great choice.


My Experience with Homemade Shampoo


So now that you know why I used the items I did – let me tell you how it worked.

I was a bit leery since I had heard reviews that the Dr Bronners soap can be quite drying, but since I added quite a bit of moisturizing ingredients, I was hopeful.

I was surprised by a few things:


1. It lathered up much more then I expected.

2. It was more liquidy then I was used to. 

3. When I used it on my face to wash my make-up off, it worked better then the stuff I had been using for over 5 years; especially with my mascara!

4. My hair seemed a lot thicker then normal and the texture seemed more substantial-I’m not sure of the wording here, but I guess heartier word be the way to describe the texture.


The first night I did not use the apple cider vinegar spray as a conditioner. I regret this….Instead, I used some coconut oil on the ends and it made my hair very greasy!

The next night I washed my hair again, which is not my normal routine – I normally wash my hair every 3 to 4 days, but since I put that coconut oil in my hair, I had to wash it out because I felt like a grease-ball.

This time I used the apple cider vinegar as a conditioner. One word - amazing!

Using the ACV you are able to restore the PH balance in your hair which is critical. The benefits of ACV is the great ability in adjusting the acid alkaline balance because of its calcium and potassium mineral content. Though I was hesitant on using this as a conditioner, I have truly converted into a apple cider vinegar lover!



Conclusion


My hair hasn’t looked or felt this healthy in years! (and it has only been 2 weeks!!) I would suggest trying on making your own shampoo or at least consider a more natural shampoo.

This shampoo wash can replace your body wash and face wash. I use this on my daughters as well and find it very reassuring that I know exactly what the ingredients are and why they are being used.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be respectful. If you are about to say something that you would not let your child hear, then please refrain from saying it.